Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My First Shoulder Stand

A long time ago, when I first started on my path to becoming a healthier person, I bought a few yoga DVDs. I used these, walking, and Weight Watchers to lose 65 pounds. I liked practicing with the DVDs because I could learn the poses in the privacy of my own home, where no one would see me. For years, I only did yoga with my DVDs and, while I enjoyed it, I was never able to really push myself or learn cool new poses.

Fast forward to now. I've been practicing weekly at The Folded Leaf here in Charleston, and I leave every class feeling like I'm floating (I've also cried a few times on the drive home, but I can't really explain that). I've been able to really deepen my yoga experience. A few things that I've been able to do for the first time:

Pranayama
Get my heels to the floor in downward-facing dog
Camel Pose

And for the first time, last night, an unsupported shoulder stand! I was lying there, thinking that I would fall over like I always do, and all of a sudden, my legs were in the air. My body was not completely straight, but I can work on that. I got the balance right, my hands were in the right place, and it felt easy. I was stoked. Next up: crow pose?

I love yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment