Thursday, December 2, 2010

But Then

Without going into too much detail, I received a job offer that was way too good to pass up, with a company that I've worked for in the past. And I will be working from home. Stoked. Yesterday I gave my two-week notice to my boss, and he seemed genuinely happy for me. He was cool about it, even though I will be working for a competitor.

But then . . . in the parking lot last night, he told me not to come back. I had a ton of personal things in my office, and he told me I could come back today to box them up.

But then . . . I received a voicemail from his secretary this morning saying that all of my personal items had been boxed up and were waiting for me on the first floor of the building, and that I could come and pick them up after 10:00.

Brad said that this is common practice and that I shouldn't take it personally, but I feel like I was slapped in the face. I would have liked to pack up my own things, say good-bye to the coworkers who I have befriended, and maybe fill someone in on the open projects I have.

I can't wait to start my new job and I know I made the right decision, but I feel bad about the way it ended. I guess I just would have liked to leave on a more positive note, and I don't like leaving things unfinished. Am I wrong to feel this way? Is this the way things always happen? I've never been fired or asked to leave a job before.

1 comment:

  1. Some people are such b-holes. I've worked for plenty of them. Don't take it personally, just be glad you're outta there. Anyone that petty is just a passive-aggressive nightmare waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete