Saturday, June 11, 2011

Post HM Blues

It has been a week since I ran my first half marathon. My hips were sore last Sunday so I did nothing except eat Mexican food and drink a margarita with Brad. But already that evening, I was starting to feel the post-event blues.

"I'm kind of depressed that the half marathon is over," I told Brad in our kitchen on Sunday. "I don't have anything to work toward anymore."
"See? Now you get it! Sign up for another one!" said the man who races nearly every weekend from April through November, every year.
"Um, no."

But I have spent the last week thinking about what I want to do next. I love the feeling of setting a big goal and achieving it. All of those weeks of work actually led to something real. I'm not ready to commit to a marathon yet, but I don't think it's completely out of the question in my lifetime.

I think for now, I'm going to keep running (because, turns out? I like it) and try to get faster. I am running with a new friend, E., on Sunday. She is probably much faster than me, and I think that is a step in the right direction. My plan right now is going to be:

1 "track" workout per week (will probably be done on a TM sometimes)

1 fartlek per week

1 LSD per week

2 strength-training sessions per week

+other runs at my regular pace

+more protein in my diet

+run with someone faster sometimes (E. or Brad, if I can ever convince him to run)

Hopefully this will all help me get my average pace down below 10:00 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment