Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dear Charleston,

It has been almost a year that I've lived here, and I know we've had our ups and downs. I have had days that I've really disliked you, your lack of good bars and good bands and Whole Foods. I wanted you to be different, evolve, grow, but I know you're not ready for that. I was hoping that I could change you, but I don't know if that is possible. You are set in your ways and I have to accept you for what you are.

Lately, I'm beginning to feel like you are the one who is changing me. I've had so many days in which I am awestruck by your natural beauty. In those moments, I think, wow, how lucky am I that I get to live here? That I can drive 15 minutes on a Wednesday after work to KSF and be suddenly deep in the woods, in the wildness. That I can hike for an hour up a mountain and be greeted with spectacular views, green hills as far as I can see.

Do you remember when I found that wild orchid growing in the state forest? Thank you. That week in March when our yard exploded with daffodils? Thanks for that, too. Maybe, if we both try a little harder, we can make this work.

Love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment