Friday, February 12, 2010

Something Has Got to Change

Snowpocalypse in Washington DC. An earthquake in Chicago. Snow in Louisiana for the first time in like 10 years. But no snow in Vancouver?

Meanwhile, energy companies in West Virginia are blowing up the beautiful Appalachian mountains for coal, coal, coal to burn; never mind the harmful run-off, which is rendering previously pristine streams and rivers polluted and unusable. They are drilling horizontal gas wells in the Kanawha State Forest. And that one redneck that lives on my street keeps throwing empty Gatorade and Natty Ice bottles out of his car window onto the hillside.

I've always been a bit of a tree-hugger, and I do my best to live a green life. We recycle, buy energy-efficient light bulbs, and try to reduce and reuse as much as possible. I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Forum on Energy a few weeks ago, in which Robert Kennedy Jr. debated Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship on the devastating practice of mountaintop removal mining. Living here and witnessing this first hand has really opened my eyes. There is so much more that I can do.

I am pledging right now to do more personally. I will also be looking for ways to do more publicly. West Virginia is the most beautiful place I have ever lived, and I want it to remain as beautiful for my future children to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment