Monday, December 31, 2012

2013

Without a doubt, 2012 has been the biggest year of my life.  I got pregnant in early February and spent nearly the entire year growing my baby girl. I gave birth on November 1st and spent the next two months nurturing my baby girl. And now it's New Year's Eve.  The day that everyone spends looking back, talking about the year.  I can't even begin to describe how stressful, scary, and absolutely amazing 2012 has been, so I won't try. Instead, I want to look ahead to 2013.

I am a completely different person than I was at this time last year.  Aside from the obvious (I'm somebody's mother now. WTF.),  I am battling a bit of postpartum depression.  I have 30 pounds to lose.  I haven't run in nearly a year.   I don't get as much sleep as I should, and this won't change anytime in the near future.  I need to get control of a raging sugar addiction that started when I was pregnant and craving nothing but sweet.  Coffee plays a larger role in my life than it should.  Basically, I am sad, fat, and tired.  And I'm trying to remedy the sad and the tired with sugar and caffeine.  Not exactly a recipe for healthy living.

So here's the plan:

I am pretty much starting over with running, so I have downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone and am starting the program this week.  My goal is a sub-30 minute 5K this year, and to complete another half marathon.

I have joined Weight Watchers, which helped me achieve and maintain a 70 pound weight loss years ago.  My goal is to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by August 1st. That is really a lot of time to lose 30 pounds, but it is exactly nine months after the day I gave birth.  Nine months to gain, nine months to lose.

I am going to cut out refined sugar, except for on special occasions.  For example: if I can eat this thing anytime I will not have it. However, if it is something like a really awesome cupcake on my birthday or a piece of cake at a wedding or something like that, I will eat it.  My goal is to not crave sugar anymore, and to view it as a rare treat rather than one of the food groups.

The PPD is tougher. I am not sure what my goal should be with this, other than to feel better again. I know that it takes time to overcome and that exercise should helpr.  If I start to feel worse I know I will need help, but for now I think it is manageable.  I guess my goal is to be kinder to myself and ask for help if/when I need it.

I'm not doing anything about the caffeine because, frankly, I don't think I can do all of the above without it.

So there we go.  2013 is going to be the best year yet. I can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment